Our understanding of open source
Open Source is the center of our daily work. For us, open source is not a cheap way to use software for free that others have written, but more like a basic attitude:
We believe in openness and the exchange of know-how and experience, both internally within our VSHNeers and externally with customers and partners. Of course, this also includes open source code and software.
We consider open source as the best way to create and develop software, because having a strong and committed community can make a project a long-term success, and everyone involved benefits.
Advantages for customers
- No high licensing fees: benefit from future developments and software maintenance for free.
- Easily switch providers: thanks to open source, a customer can switch from VSHN to another provider at any time, if he wants to. We do not enforce lock-ins – we want to convince you through our quality work.
- Exchange know-how and experience: VSHN is known to collaborate beyond organizational boundaries and share knowledge in accordance with DevOps principles.
- Customizability: open source is known to have a much wider selection of extensions and plugins than commercial software.
- Reduced development effort: the ability to reuse parts of an open source code greatly reduces the development effort required for custom developments.
- Security: vulnerabilities and bugs are usually found much faster in open source software than in commercial software.
Advantages for employees
- Exciting & innovative technology: join the spearhead of global development and solve challenging problems.
- Public portfolio: showcase your achievements and developments e.g. on GitHub and share your know-how.
- Work with the best DevOps team in Switzerland: collaboration, learning and personal development is actively promoted by VSHN.
- Time & money: you get time for community management and to take care of your open source development.
Open source software & technology we are using
The open source software & technologies used by VSHN can be found here.
Our open source contributions can be found here:
The Linux Foundation supports the creation of sustainable open source ecosystems by providing financial and intellectual resources, infrastructure, services, events, and training. Working together, The Linux Foundation and its projects form the most ambitious and successful investment in the creation of shared technology.
The Cloud Native Computing Foundation builds sustainable ecosystems and fosters a community around a constellation of high-quality projects that orchestrate containers as part of a microservices architecture. CNCF serves as the vendor-neutral home for many of the fastest-growing projects on GitHub, including Kubernetes, Prometheus and Envoy, fostering collaboration between the industry’s top developers, end users, and vendors.
VSHN is the first Kubernetes Certified Service Provider (KCSP) in Switzerland.
CH Open is an association for the promotion of open source software and open standards in Switzerland. CH Open has been committed to promoting open source since 1982. With the regular national conferences and events CH Open intends to deepen and promote the knowledge and the exchange of open source.