Welcome to another VSHN.timer! Every Monday, 5 links related to Kubernetes, OpenShift, CI / CD, and DevOps; all stuff coming out of our own chat system, making us think, laugh, or simply work better.
Last week was full of conferences, new product announcements, and exciting news! There was ServiceMeshCon, then KubeCon / CloudNativeCon, and even MulticloudCon. This VSHN.timer will feature what we think are the five most prominent news of the week.
1. VMWare announced Project Antrea, a „Kubernetes networking solution intended to be Kubernetes native. It operates at Layer 3/4 to provide networking and security services for a Kubernetes cluster, leveraging Open vSwitch as the networking data plane.“ They also showcased Octant extensively during the week, „an open source developer-centric web interface for Kubernetes that lets you inspect a Kubernetes cluster and its applications.“
2. Buoyant, the team behind linkerd, announced the release of the private beta of Dive, a „SaaS team control plane for platform teams operating Kubernetes“ (not to be mixed up with the Docker container explorer of the same name!)
3. Rancher made two important announcements last week: first, Rio, a new application deployment engine for Kubernetes that takes „technologies such as Kubernetes, knative, linkerd, cert-manager, buildkit and gloo and combines them to present a holistic application deployment environment.“ And second, K3s version 1.0, the „certified Kubernetes distribution built for IoT & Edge computing.“
4. Red Hat announced OpenShift Hive, an OpenShift operator which „enables operations teams to easily provision new PaaS environments for developers improving productivity and reducing process burden due to internal IT regulations.“
5. If you can’t get enough from conferences, check out all videos from KubeCon / CloudNativeCon already available on YouTube! You might want to get some popcorn (or order some pizza and drinks) before hitting the play button… there are 320 videos, a whole week of back-to-back playback! Don’t know where to start? Then watch Bryan Liles‚ excellent keynote: „In Search of the Kubernetes ‚Rails‘ Moment.“
Did you attend any of these conferences? Have we missed some important announcement? Get in touch with us through the form at the bottom of this page, and see you next week for another edition of VSHN.timer.